Saturday, February 4, 2012

Podcast Critiques

iZoofari Audio Tours-


-I wanted to choose three different podcast topics, so I figured a zoo podcast would be pretty cool. The different episodes of this podcast range over different zoo locations and different animals. The first episode I listened to was an audio tour of the lion exhibit at the San Diego Zoo.

-I liked how the narrator explained how the exhibits in the zoo were set up and he gave in depth information on how the zookeepers take care of the lions. One think I think this podcast could use was natural sound, for example background noise of the crowd near the lion exhibits, lion roars, grass rustling in the wind. The second episode I listened to was about how the zookeepers trained the lions. Once again, the lack of natural sound made this episode really boring.

-The only way I would keep listening to this podcast is if I were planning a vacation and I wanted to go to one of the zoos they talked about. They provide some cool facts and insight of the zoos and animal exhibits.

-I would download this on my iPhone if I were visiting one of these zoos, other than that I don't find this podcast useful.

Best of Mike & Mike-

-Mike & Mike in the morning is a talk show that airs on ESPN2 in the morning as well as ESPN radio. This show consists of live interviews with athletes, coaches, members of the media, etc. The show is hosted by Mike Greenberg and Mike Golic.

-I like how both of the hosts feed off each other and joke around, although there is time for fun they still get to the main point of what is going on in the sports world. I also like how they are current and always interviewing people, I believe the interviews keep the show interesting. Mike Greenberg was a writer for ESPN and Mike Golic is an ex-NFL player, I feel that having both the player aspect and the reporter aspect makes for a better show because they don't always agree on topics.

-Something I dislike about the podcast is that if you watch it on TV there are many ads and commercials. The audio podcasts run very long, I wish they would break them up into segments and label them. If that was the case then you could listen to the parts that you wanted to instead of scrubbing and trying to find interesting parts.

-I see myself listening to this podcast. Now that it is on my iTunes, I can listen to the episodes I want to hear if I miss the episode they show on the television that morning.

-I will keep this subscription on my laptop and might transfer it to my phone because it will give me something new to listen to every day if I have down time in the class or if I need something to listen to while I'm driving.

The Coastin' East Amusement Park Podcast-




-I feel this is a very interesting topic because most family vacations in America are centered around amusement parks.  This does not seem like it is professional but I still find this podcast very interesting. It is just a couple of kids talking about renovations, new rides, and top rides in amusement parks across America.

-I like how both hosts provide more of their own input rather than facts. I also like how it is more laid back rather than an up-tight radio show.

-I do not like how they don't have a website with a gallery so you can see these rides and renovations and other things. I also wish they would take phone calls because it would be great to see what theme-park enthusiasts across the country would want to see for new rides, favorite rides, etc. At times in these broadcasts there seems like they run out of things to say, they could do a better job of making the show flow.

-I could see myself listening to this podcast a lot just because I love amusement parks. It will be cool to listen and hear what parks have certain rides in the works.

-I would not put this on my mobile device because there is not any breaking news updates, I can listen to it on my laptop whenever I want.


2 comments:

  1. Great variety, Alex! Your critique of the zoo podcast's lack of natural sound is insightful. Ditto your criticism of the amusement park podcast's lack of a photo gallery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dan. I wanted to use different topics to see if they formatted the podcasts differently. I didn't think I would see different aspects if I used podcasts of the same topic.

      Delete